6 Steps to turn your Passion into Profit
You’ve got something that makes your heart happy, but can you actually make money at it? Lauren Dailey, creator of the popular lifestyle blog, Bohemian by the Bay, has proven that you can and now she teaches other bloggers and small business owners how to do it to. In this episode, Lauren is talking about her journey to becoming a leader in the blogging space, and her 6 step method for taking your passions and turning them into profitable and sustainable businesses.
HOW DID SHE GET HERE?
Lauren held a few different full-time jobs before moving back to San Francisco after college, which is where she started her now very popular blog, Bohemian by the Bay. Like many bloggers, she was looking for a creative outlet, and starting a blog was the perfect fit. It started out as a fashion blog and Lauren was spending every weekend and extra minute she had working on it.
At the time, Lauren was working at a financial software firm, and knew it wasn’t for her. She decided to move to L.A. to pursue a career as a social media manager, while continuing to work toward taking her blog full-time. About 2 years later, she succeeded, and became a full-time blogger, before ultimately deciding that she also wanted to work with other small businesses and bloggers to help them turn their hobbies into money-making businesses as well.
OTHER THAN SOCIAL MEDIA, WHAT MARKETING STRATEGIES DID YOU USE TO ACTUALLY GROW YOUR BLOG?
Email list! Obviously social media is the best way to get yourself out there, but your email list is such a great way to connect with your people. You own your email list, so it gives you the opportunity to speak with your audience no matter what.
HOW DID YOU DECIDE TO MONETIZE YOUR BLOG?
Once you really start to get a following, brands will usually start to reach out to you to collaborate. When you feel confident, start reaching out to brands that you love using or following already, and pitch yourself for a collaboration. Decide what you want to charge for a post, put together a media kit, and start positioning yourself as a leader in your industry.
WHAT IS YOUR 6 STEP METHOD FOR TURNING A PASSION INTO A PROFIT?
1. Branding Basics. Your brand is the first thing clients see online, so make sure you make it you and make it magnetizing.
2. Income Strategies and Offers. Position yourself as a leader in your niche and make sure that your blog is giving readers value and that there’s a valuable signature offer that is bringing in consistent income for you.
3. Sales. Make sure you’re creating a high-ticket offer (usually over $1,000) so that you’ve got something that’s consistently generating enough income for you. This means getting potential clients on sales calls and finding clients that are a good fit for your offer.
4. Content. You have to be creating beautiful photos, but also mixing that with personal stories and dive deep into the behind the scenes so that your followers feel like they know and trust you and want to keep seeing your content.
5. Marketing. This is your meat. You can have a beautiful brand, but if no one knows you exist, it isn’t helping. Create a lead magnet, figure out a funnel, and get potential clients into an email sequence.
6. Implementation. Know when you need to hire someone for help. You can’t do it alone. Hire an assistant and outsource what you don’t have time for or aren’t good at. Hire a coach if you need someone to help you figure things out. You have to be willing to invest in yourself.
BONUS! GRAB LAUREN’S 6 STEPS TO A SOULFUL + SUSTAINABLE ONLINE BUSINESS!
Love this episode? Your feedback would mean the world to us!
Stay tuned for the next episode of Females of Fire, where we'll bring you another expert in her field with great advice and resources! You can always listen here on the blog, or on iTunes, Google Play, Spotify, iHeartRadio, SoundCloud, Stitcher, and Tune In Radio!
Join the Females on Fire Facebook Community (where you'll get first dibs on freebies and announcements, plus meet some other amazing ladies like yourself!)
Find Hayley on Instagram (for business tips, announcements, inspiration, or just to see Luke and I being cute enough to make you sick ;)